We grow our flowers on two+ acres of our farm. This is how we do it:
- Our soil is rich in organic matter, and we build it with compost we create from our own plant material and manure from our own pastured livestock. In 2016 we will start rotating flower beds around our farm, alternating flowers and cover crops to maintain soil health.
- We begin almost everything from seed or bulbs in our own heated facility, transplanting when ready to our high tunnels or field.
- 2016 is also our first year releasing beneficial insects inside our structures to control pests. We occasionally use organic sprays (such as insecticidal soap and pyrethrin), and once or twice a year we have to spray a non-organic artificial pyrethrin around our dahlias, as there is no organic pesticide effective against grasshoppers that's registered for use in Minnesota.
- We harvest each variety at its prime, cutting directly into water containing Floralife preservative or holding solution.
- We continually transport cut flowers from the field to our cooler.
- We deliver in our own refrigerated van. The flowers are always in water, never dry in boxes.
- When you receive our flowers you can place them directly into your cooler. There's no need to re-cut the stems.
We distribute a weekly availability list. Please contact us if you'd like to receive our email.
Copyright Prairie Garden Farm 2016
All Rights Reserved